TO GO TO OTHER CATEGORIES CLICK ON LINKS BELOW (e.g., Breakfast, Main Dish)
Summer Squash Bruschetta – (submitted by Alina Rodriguez) Servings: 1-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup seeded, chopped tomato (approximately 2 medium tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow squash
- 1/2 cup finely chopped zucchini squash
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (I prefer white balsamic)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 18 toasted French bread rounds
Garnish: Freshly ground pepper and grated parmesan cheese
In a medium bowl, combine tomato, squashes, basil, olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Spoon approximately 1 tablespoon tomato mixture on top of each toasted French bread round (or serve breads in basket and squash mixture in bowl for guest to serve themselves). Garnish with freshly ground black pepper and Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Bacon & Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms – (submitted by Hilary Williams)
- Ingredients 8 oz container of whipped light cream cheese
- ½ cup grated Jarlsberg cheese
- 4 slices of cooked crumbled bacon
- Garlic salt to taste Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb white mushroom cleaned and stemmed
- Preheat oven to 350° and cover a baking pan with foil and grease lightly
- Combine first 5 ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Stuff mushroom centers
- Bake until bubbly 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm with tooth picks.
Easy Feta Dip (submitted by Alina Rodriguez)
- about 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 4-5 green onions, sliced thinly
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2-3 teaspoons Cavender’s Greek seasoning (see note)
- fresh baguette, sliced thinly
On a large platter drizzle olive oil until you have a thin layer on the entire platter. You may use more or less here depending on your preference. Add the tomatoes, green onions, and feta on top of the olive oil. Sprinkle with the Greek seasoning to taste. With a spoon carefully combine the ingredients. Serve with warm sliced baguettes for scooping up the dip.
Note: Cavender’s is a greek seasoning that can be found in many grocery stores. I know Piggley Wiggley in Coligney carries it.
Chili Cheese Dip (submitted by Ellen Lowe)
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can chili sauce (no beans)
Soften crème cheese on a plate that can be microwaved. Spread cream cheese, then chili sauce on top of crème cheese. Sprinkle with shredded cheese on top of chili sauce. Microwave for 2-3 minutes or just to melt cheese. Serve with tortilla chips.
Baked Brie (submitted by Candi Humphrey)
- 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 teaspoons butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup tomato preserves or mango chutney
- 1/2 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 8 ounce round Brie cheese (about 4 inches in diameter)
- Breadsticks, assorted crackers, or french bread slices
For caramelized onions, cook onion in hot butter or margarine in a small saucepan, covered, over low heat about 15 minutes or until tender and golden, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, stir together tomato preserves or mango chutney (cut up any large pieces of chutney), rosemary, and crushed red pepper in a small bowl.
Cut off a thin slice from the top of the Brie to remove the rind; discard. Place the Brie in an ungreased 9-inch pie plate. Top with tomato or chutney mixture, then with caramelized onions.
Bake, uncovered, in a 325 degree F oven about 10 to 12 minutes or until Brie is softened and warmed but not runny. Serve with breadsticks, crackers, or bread slices. Makes 8 servings.
Sausage Cups (submitted by Linda Holmes) – Yields 30 sausage cups
- 1 lb hot sausage
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- 2 pkgs. Phyllo dough shells (15 shells in each pkg). Can be found in freezer section
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Crumble sausage into medium skillet. Cook over medium heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Drain. Mix sausage, cheese and ranch dressing together. Fill phyllo dough shells. Bake 10 minutes until bubbly.
Pimento Cheese (submitted by Nancy Kramer) – Serves 8 6oz servings
- 1lb grated cheddar
- 1/2 lb grated pepper jack cheese
- 1 (4oz) can diced pimentos
- 1/3 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp granulated onion
- About 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of Cayenne
- About 1/2 tbs green pepper sauce
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients well and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Roasted Red Pepper Dip (submitted by Kathy Herr) – Makes 3/4 cup
- 1 whole roasted red pepper (from a jar)
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbs olive oil
- pinch of garlic salt (add more to taste)
Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse for 10 seconds, scrape down the sides, then repeat until combined, about 1 minute. Serve with veggies. Enjoy!
Southwestern Dip – (Submitted by Jean Shaver) – Makes about 6 cups
- 1 can (14 ½ oz.) tamales, drained
- 1 can (15 oz.) chili with beans
- 10 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, small cubes
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies, drained
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ¼ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Chopped fresh cilantro or green onions, for garnish
- Corn or tortilla chips, for dipping
Remove and discard paper wrappers from tamales. In a medium mixing bowl, mash tamales with a fork. Add chili with beans, cheese, green chilies, onion and hot pepper sauce; mix will. Turn mixture into a greased oven-proof baking dish. Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven 30 to 35 minutes. Garnish with cilantro or green onions. Serve warm dip with chips.
Cheese & Black Olive Appetizers (Submitted by Kay Sartorius)
- 2 Cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- Mayonnaise (approx. 6 T)
- 3 to 4 chopped green onions
- 1 – 2 1/4 ounce can chopped black olives
- 6 to 8 English muffins, split in half
Mix enough Mayo with the cheese so cheese is blended. Add chopped onions and olives. Mix all ingredients together. Heap on English muffins halves and freeze on cookie sheet until firm. Store in plastic bags in freezer. When needed, cut English muffins into 4 wedges while frozen. Bake in 400 degree oven until cheese is bubbly. (about 10 – 12 min.)